Website details: Bank of the Poor
Hangout Notes by Alistair Lattimore from Convergent Media
- Site wide HTTP 301 redirect from www/non-www bankofthepoor.org to bankofthepoor.com
- Site wide HTTP 301 redirect from www.bankofthepoor.com to bankofthepoor.com
- Fix WordPress template to include rel=”canonical” tag on home page
- query string variations that errored
- invalid URLs within CSS files
- Fix the invalid URLs within CSS files, they are slowing the site load time down and could be making the site visually look incomplete
- Fix the internal links with invalid/missing query string values to avoid users stumbling into a 404 error while exploring the site
- Check URLs for traffic, adjust if appropriate
- Fix WordPress template when fixing rel=”canonical” issue above
- Add custom meta descriptions to all high traffic URLs
- Review HTML on high value pages to correct any rendering issues if present
- Add descriptive alt attribute to all editorial images
- Rework content to use a more descriptive link text
- Install W3 Total Cache as a starting point
- Remove duplicate references to the same resources
- Generate CSS sprites where appropriate
- Tune additional items with .htaccess where possible
Website Details: http://bankofthepoor.org/
Helping charity and non-profit websites reach more visitors through SEO, user experience and strategy.
by Alistair Lattimore
The following list shows the number of indexed pages per domain:
40 site:starlight.org.au -inurl:www
http://www.starlight.org.au & https://www.starlight.org.au are indexed
http://www.starlight.org.au & https://www.starlight.org.au are completely different sites
http://www.starlight.org.au & http://www.starlight.org.au/Pages/default.aspx are indexed
www/non-www are both crawlable by search engines
using a 302 redirect from http://www.starlight.org.au to http://www.starlight.org.au/Pages/default.aspx
broken URLs return a HTTP 404, however the 404 error document is horrible
Severe HTML validation issues with duplicate <head>, <title> tags throughout website
A lot of short <title> tags that could be more descriptive/optimised
home page meta keywords tag keyword stuffed
pages that have attempted to be de-indexed using meta robots tag are indexed due to the tag being invalid. They are using a value of NOHTMLINDEX, which appears to be the tag used to remove a page from the Sharepoint indexing service. However that obviously isn’t valid for search engines. this issue opens them up to their search results page, as an example, producing thousands of indexed URLs (it hasn’t yet but it could).
no robots.txt file
no XML sitemap
rel=canonical tag not implemented
both the static & animated favicon URLs lead to a 404 error
both jquery & js carousel have a lot of 404 errors throughout the site, so functionality is broken
pressing <enter> on search box instead of clicking Search, redirects to http://starlight.org.au with an error instead of to http://www.starlight.org.au
facebook widget used in right sidebar showed me an ad leading to widgetbox.com
facebook widget includes <noscript> follow links to widgetbox.com
Google Analytics is still using synchonous tracker, should upgrade to asynchronous tracker
Google Analytics is used on multiple sub-domains (good) but isn’t implemented for multi-domain tracking so attribution is going to be broken.
found around ~50 internal links using non-descriptive link text like ‘click here’, ‘here’, ..
internal canonical link issues due to inconsistent casing of URLs
The list will keep going if I keep digging but I should get some sleep.
Dan Petrovic, the managing director of DEJAN, is Australia’s best-known name in the field of search engine optimisation. Dan is a web author, innovator and a highly regarded search industry event speaker.
ORCID iD: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-6886-3211